Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Free At Last

Last night I officially heard from the head of the faculty board that I have, in Oxford's archaic language, been granted leave to supplicate. This means that I passed my viva and my thesis has been accepted with no corrections! It still hasn't quite sunk in yet, but needless to say, we are very grateful. And not just grateful in the sort of non-descript intransitive sense that pagans are grateful, but grateful to the very specific God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ for the minute patience and generosity he has displayed to us over the past three years as the sine qua non of this experience. And I personally am deeply, grovelingly, obsequiously indebted to Julia, my heroine (I won't say more than this because otherwise she'll make me change it, and she probably will any way when she comes home to read this). And time would fail to tell of all the help and encouragement we owe to our friends and family along the way. But all this is to say that we are conscious of the fact that, notwithstanding the work that has gone into these years, this entire thing has been and remains a gift drawn from the free excess of God's grace to us in Christ, and more often than not mediated by people who have sacrificially and stubbornly loved us throughout these years.

A.M.D.G.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dave. I am so proud of you. Thanks be to God that you made it. I am excited to read about your next steps.

I love you buddy
Gabe

The Egan Family said...

Woohoo!!!! Well done, Dave! Packing up to leave here has made us so nostalgic...it seems as if we all just started. To hear that you have finished is just amazing. Enjoy the spoils with your lovely wife!

Kelli said...

Congrats from the Smiths! We are so happy for you...no corrections, huh? We knew you were pretty smart! :)

Love from us,

David and Kelli

Seth and Mary said...

AWESOME! Can't wait to see you Dr. and Mrs. Lincicum!
Mary

Joy Sonju said...

We're so happy for you guys! Can't wait to come down for a visit once you're all settled in Oxford!

jhoch said...

Congratulations Dave and Julia. I can only imagine the relief you must feel to have that behind you! God is indeed gracious.

Unknown said...

congrats!!! what a relief....we all had faith in you.
now...on to the next adventure : )
best wishes in England!
-Denise and Brandon

Mathews said...

Wow! Congratulations Dave! That is awesome. Are you guys planning to be out West anytime soon? We'd love to see you. What about New Orleans in November?

Melissa Winchell said...

Yay!!! Congratulations to you! Where are you off to next? Oxford? And thanks, too, for your card for Moriah...we are always so happy to hear from you guys. Miss you lots! Love, Missy

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!! What's it like to be so brilliant?!? Tell me about it in a few weeks. :)
Amy