Friday, November 2, 2007

Awkward in Oxford

[We know it's been awhile since we've posted; things have been a bit crazy, but we'll try to be better - that is, if anyone still reads this thing.]

One of the striking things about Oxford, which was also true to a lesser extent of St. Andrews, is the amount of pomp and circumstance encountered in the daily rounds. Of course, most universities have some sort of matriculation ceremony; but at ours here in Oxford we had to dress up in full "sub-fusc" (i.e., for men a dark suit with white shirt and white bow tie) and wear our academic robes to a ceremony conducted in Latin. Most universities have a cafeteria or dining hall for their students; but here one must wear the academic robe to be admitted to dinner and, on the occasions when I'm likely to go, usually something pretty formal underneath. And most universities might have some kind of chapel service; but here, not only do most individual colleges have stunning chapels that would be the envy of some smaller cathedrals, but many of the services are conducted according to the Anglican rites.

This may seem romantic to some, bothersome to others; in the course of things, I find it to be both in turns. To a Californian born-and-bred low-church populist type who once thought he would get married in flip-flops and a white t-shirt, this is something new. I suppose in part it is good for me, thinking about entering the academic profession, to get used to a certain amount of formality and ceremony. But most of the time I just feel incredibly, painfully awkward. These events, sprinkled, as they tend to be, with a fair amount of social chatter, also make me realize my 'unwittiness' (I suppose the British would call it 'dullness'). This is especially true when compared to English students who seem to be more graced with the silver-tongued quip or well-timed riposte. Most of the time, if my accent hasn't already given me away, the sweat on my brow surely pegs me for an anxious American trying desperately (but mostly unsuccessfully) not to transgress those unwritten social mandates obvious to everyone in the room except for me. Actually, I know that a lot of internationals feel this way, and probably some of the more 'populist' UK students also. But that knowledge only partially helps...

If nothing else, I suppose I'm gathering stories to tell the kids one day...

1 comment:

Mathews said...

Hey Dave (and Julia), I guess it was good preparation when we would get those looks of disapproval for wearing flip flops at our church in Wheaton. We do hope to meet up in a couple months over here in the land of untucked shirts and sunshine.