Friday, January 16, 2009
Guilty pleasures: Ist doch nur Spass
With shame of face, I confess a guilty pleasure of mine: a TV show here, on Thursday nights, called, "Ist doch nur Spass," roughly, "It's just a bit of fun." I think it's actually made in the English-speaking world somewhere but for an international audience and so without any explicit dialogue. This probably goes a long way toward registering my enjoyment of the show: you can just sit lazily back and not struggle to get the point through the German sailing overhead. Basically it's just people playing pranks on other people: the adolescent in me loves to sit back and watch, the academic in me justifies it as a study in human behavior. But Julia still doesn't see why I find it so funny. There's a clip here. Does anyone else think this is funny? The ironic self-detachment in me knows this is dorky, but I can't help myself...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That's hilarious, Dave. I understand completely. I can watch shows like that forever and not stop laughing.
It's also great to see glimpses into your life on the blog. We are hoping to turn the corner and update ours more now too.
Josh, thanks for the moral support. I know you guys must have lots of demands for blog updates now (and we'll add our voice!). Hope you guys are settling into things okay.
Hey David, I wanted to watch your little video but I confess that I could not get things to play for me...I can sort of see Julia wondering what is so funny,,,do the Germans have a different sense of humor than we do? All in all, it's probably good for you to do something rather less lofty for your brain than you normally do...Besides that, laughter is always good for the soul.
Well, Dave, I gave your show a chance. I did laugh, but I don't think I could watch it for any longer. The truth is that I really dislike pranks, and I think watching the show would bring about a disturbing sense of moral outrage on behalf of those poor people being picked on... Patrick would not enjoy watching with me, but he probably would with you!
Dave, this show is indeed on in the U.S. I've seen it many times.
that is also fantastic, it works on so many levels!
Post a Comment